John S Rogers—Training Zone--Spiritual Thought—December, 2010
President Thomas S Monson Ensign Dec. 1990
“With the birth of the babe of Bethlehem, there emerged a great endowment—a power stronger than weapons, a wealth more lasting than the coins of Caesar. This child was to be the King of kings and Lord of lords, the promised Messiah, even Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
“Born in a stable, cradled in a manger, he came forth from heaven to live on earth as mortal man and to establish the kingdom of God. During his earthly ministry, he taught men the higher law. His glorious gospel reshaped the thinking of the world. He blessed the sick; he caused the lame to walk, the blind to see, the deaf to hear. He even raised the dead to life.
“What was the reaction to his message of mercy, his words of wisdom, his lessons of life? There were a precious few who appreciated him. They bathed his feet. They learned his word. They followed his example.
“Then there were the many who denied him. When asked by Pilate, “What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?” they cried, “Let him be crucified.” (Matt. 27:22.) They mocked him. They gave him vinegar to drink. They reviled him. They smote him with a reed. They spat upon him. They crucified him.”
Then he goes on to talk about finding Christ and following Him:
“But how do we follow him if first we don’t find him? And how shall we find him if first we don’t seek him? Where and how should we begin this search for Jesus?
“The formula for finding Jesus has always been and ever will be the same—the earnest and sincere prayer of a humble and pure heart. The prophet Jeremiah counseled, “Ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” (Jer. 29:13.)
“Before we can successfully undertake a personal search for Jesus, we must first prepare time for him in our lives and room for him in our hearts. In these busy days there are many who have time for golf, time for shopping, time for work, time for play—but no time for Christ.
“Lovely homes dot the land and provide rooms for eating, rooms for sleeping, playrooms, sewing rooms, television rooms, but no room for Christ.
“Do we get a pang of conscience as we recall his own words: “The foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.” (Matt. 8:20.) Or do we flush with embarrassment when we remember, “And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.” (Luke 2:7.) No room. No room. No room. Ever has it been.”
I would like to conclude by sharing (singing) the poignant feelings of the Inn Keeper who had no room in the inn for the Christ Child and later realized who He was.
(Music from the Forgotten Carols by Michael McClain, “The Innkeeper—Let Him In”)
I am a man forgotten, no one recalls my name.
Thousands of years will fail to fully erase by shame,
But I turned a profit nicely that day that I turned the couple away.
I turned them away.
I didn’t sleep that evening though I’d sold out my place.
Somehow I felt uneasy, something about her face.
Why did I wish that I’d let them stay? I don’t think they could have paid
Or could they have paid?
Restless I left my bedroom. I walked the streets all night.
Lost in the world I lived in, found by a heav’nly light,
Staring at one bright star in the sky I heard a baby cry.
I knew where that cry had come from
‘Cause I’d told them where they could go,
But I didn’t think I could face them. So I walked slowly home,
Missing my chance to share in their joy, I never saw the boy.
He never would condemn me, I did that all on my own.
He offered his forgiveness and ever since then I’ve known.
He lets us choose each hour of the day if We’ll let him in to say,
Let him in, let him in, let the joy and hope begin.
Let him in, let him in, let the peace on earth begin.
And whether it be in your world today or a crowded Bethlehem Inn,
Find a way, make him room, let him in,
Let him in, let the joy and hope begin.
Let him in, let him in, let the peace on earth being.
Let him in, let him in, let him in, let him in.
No comments:
Post a Comment