Saturday, April 16, 2011
Naomi Jergensen (1930-2011)
My beloved friend, Sister Naomi Nokes Jergensen, died on April 6, 2011, following a full, regular day's work at the Training Zone. She had gone to dinner with a favorite cousin and they were in the car. She admired the beautiful evening and then, in an instant, died of heart failure. It was a great shock to the mission because she has diligently served for the last 15 years, three times as director of the Elijah Choir. She had missed a few days the previous week with an infection but was back at work as usual. As for myself, I mourned and often wept during the day that my precious Sister Jergensen was gone. John and I had sung under her direction in the Elijah Choir since the beginning of our mission then Naomi and I served together at adjoining computers as well as in adjoining cubicles in the Training Zone for about the last 20 months. Finally, in the evening at home, the sweet spirit of the Comforter came to me with the message that "Naomi is safely HOME." My heart was changed and I was filled with peace and joy that I had the privilege of associating with this amazing woman. She was an incredible musician and her soaring soprano voice was magnificent to the end. Even more important than her music was her devotion to the Savior and serving others. She was a treasured friend and confidant. We shared music, computer frustrations, family, gospel insights, and details of daily life. I was grateful that the Elijah Choirs were invited to sing at her funeral on Monday, April 11, 2011. Three of her mission presidents and Elder L. Tom Perry were at the funeral. Naomi will be missed but her legacy is eternal through her family and those of us who loved her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment